Registration to be a WHYFH Referee for the 2022 Fall season
All refs must:
1. Live in West Hartford
2. Attend and play field hockey in High School (if you do not meet this criteria, please contact Jane Yousman)
STEP 1: Online Certification Course
- Everyone must complete the NFHS online ref. certification course using the following link - https://nfhslearn.com/courses/officiating-field-hockey. To do this, you will need to create an account and select Connecticut as your state. The course takes approximately 30 minutes and is free. Once you have completed the course, please send your certificate of completion to Jane Yousman at
no later than Friday, August 26.
STEP 2: Field Certification
- Freshmen will need to attend a separate on field training certification session to be able to referee WHYFH Sticklette (3rd and 4th grades) games. Date for field training: Sunday, September 11th at Conard HS turf - time TBD.
- Sophomores/Juniors must attend field certification training the first weekend of play - either Saturday, September 10th or Sunday, September 11th at Conard HS turf - time TBD.
- Seniors who are RETURNING REFS must take the online course but do NOT have to do field certification.
- ANY BRAND NEW REFEREE who is a Sophomore, Junior or Senior must complete the online course and on field session.
STEP 3: Register yourself for games
Before registering, please note:
- Freshmen will be eligible to referee Sticklettes games only. $20/ref/game
- Sophomores will referee Junior Division (5th & 6th grades) only. $40/ref/game
- Juniors and Seniors - will referee Junior and Senior Division (7th & 8th grades). $40/ref/game
We scale the number of maximum games by seniority so:
Seniors get 4 games maximum
Juniors get 3 games maximum
Sophomores get 2 games maximum
Freshman, get 2 games maximum.
To Self Assign Yourself to Referee a Game, follow these instructions:
- Go to www.whyfh.net, Sign into the Officials Area or the Master Schedule with your email address and password. If you have forgotten your password or have never signed in before, enter only your email address and the system will email the password to the email address, provided the address given matches the address of an assigned member of the Officials team.
- Once signed in, go ahead, and click out of the General Availability form or go to the top right of the page and click on options. You do not need to fill out the general availability section, it just mixes things up.
- Go to the Master Schedule page (located on the left side of the homepage). Any open assignment that you qualify for will have a drop-down selection in the Officials ("Ofl") column.
- Select the game you wish to assign yourself to and select "Assign" from the drop-down list. If you wish to un-assign yourself from a previously assigned game, select "Not Assigned".
- When you go into the system, please select games on separate weeks, do not ref 2 games in one day. Reminder - Juniors and seniors may ref in any division; sophomores can only ref in the junior division; freshman can only ref in the sticklette division.
- You can always view your schedule by signing in and clicking on options and selecting MY SCHEDULE.
STEP 4: Game Day
- You must arrive before the game starts, fully dressed and actively ref the game for safety, fairness, and fun.
- All Refs should wear black and white stripes or a bright yellow shirt, black shorts or pants, and bring a digital watch to all games you referee.
- Refs will be provided a battery operated whistle.
- Please make sure you CHECK your EMAIL as game time changes or cancelations will come directly to your email.
NEED TO CANCEL A GAME?
If, after you register for a game, but then decide you cannot make it and it is over a week away, just log back into the system and uncheck yourself from that game.
If it is LESS THAN A WEEK from your game and you cannot make it, please contact un-register yourself from the game as described above AND email/text (475-331-5039), Jane Yousman to find a replacement for you. If you have one, please check with Jane first before we automatically assign your friend to the game.
If you have any questions, please email me.
Remember, keep it safe by blowing your whistle hard, early, and often. Be in control of the game. Call bunching and spread the girls out.
Thank you for reffing and your help in developing our youth in this great sport. I will be at many of the games to offer you support and encouragement, answer questions, and just generally be available to help you do your best work.